Writing Contest 2013
15th Annual Poetry & Short Story Contest
We invite you to submit your finest prose and poetry to the 15th annual Writers Festival Poetry & Short Story Contest, presented by the Vancouver Writers Fest. Now in its 26th year, the Festival celebrates a world of words each October on Granville Island. We now invite you to contribute your words.
Pick up a pen!
The contest deadline is 5pm, October 27, the last day of the 2013 Vancouver Writers Fest. Entries may be delivered by hand or mail to the Festival office. Entries will be judged by professionals in the writing and publishing industries. Winners will be announced by January 17, 2014.
1st prize - $500
2nd prize - $350
Prizes will be awarded to the top two entries in both the poetry and creative short fiction categories. First place winners in each category will be published in subTerrain magazine and all winners will be published on the Festival website.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Originality & imagination
- Focus & clarity
- Organized, fluid writing style
- Authenticity, strength & distinctness of voice
1. The contest is open to all writers.
2. Entries will be accepted for previously unpublished work in each category:
- i. Poetry (any style): 500 word limit
- ii. Creative Short Fiction: 1,500 word limit
3. Entries will be judged blind. Please do not put your name on your story or poem. On a separate sheet, include your name, address and phone number and the word count of your piece. For each story or poem, please include a $15 entry fee (Canadian funds only please). Please make cheques payable to the Vancouver Writers Fest; please pay for multiple entries with one cheque.
4. Mail or drop off your submissions at the Vancouver Writers Fest, 202–1398 Cartwright St., Vancouver, BC V6H 3R8.
5. Please submit entries typed (double spaced for short stories), on 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper.
6. Please submit two copies of each entry.
7. Please do not send originals; entries cannot be returned.
8. Winners will be selected by a panel of publishing and writing professionals.
9. Entries must be postmarked or delivered by 5pm October 27, 2013.