7 Days. 100+ Authors. 90+ Events.
October 17-23, 2016
Join us for the 29th Annual Vancouver Writers Fest on Granville Island and across Vancouver, as we celebrate the power of books with local, international, award-winning and up-and-coming authors.
From October 17-23, the Festival opens windows on new worlds of ideas: from dystopian dreams to hidden lives of trees; from battlefield front lines to inner city struggles; from far realms of fiction to leading edges of research; and much, much more.
Author appearances at the 2016 Festival include:
- Colson Whitehead, a multi-award winning author whose latest novel, The Underground Railroad, is becoming a sensation across North America.
- Emma Donoghue, author of the world-renowned Room, and now, The Wonder.
- Vancouver’s own Madeleine Thien who has been longlisted for The Scotiabank Giller Prize and shortlisted for The Man Booker Prize for her novel Do Not Say We Have Nothing.
- Beloved Canadian bestseller Yann Martel.
- Wade Davis, explorer and author, who shares his own photographs from years of travel in the soon-to-be-published Wade Davis: Photographs.
- Peter Wohlleben, the German forest ranger whose book The Hidden Life of Trees has quickly become an international bestseller.
- Eimear McBride, winner of the Bailey Women’s Prize for Fiction, and author of A Girl is a Half Formed Thing and, newly, The Lesser Bohemians.
- Italian author Francesca Melandri whose work, Eva Sleeps, has been called “an epic novel.”
- The New Yorker journalist David Denby who shares stories of literacy and education in NY classrooms in his new book, Lit Up.
- Affinity Konar, whose novel Mischling, is hailed as “one of the most harrowing, powerful, and imaginative books of the year.”